Google warns of surge in activity by state-backed hackers, Russia, China, Iran, they’re after your data
Read the full Guardian article here Google has warned of a surge in activity by government-backed hackers this year, including attacks from an Iranian group whose targets included a UK university. The search group said that so far in 2021 it had sent more than 50,000 warnings to account holders that they had been a target of government-backed phishing or malware attempts. This represents an increase of a third on the same period last year, Google said in a blogpost, with the rise attributed to an “unusually large campaign” by a Russian hacking group known as APT28, or Fancy Bear.is a series of market research reports published by IT consulting firm Gartner that rely on proprietary qualitative data analysis methods to demonstrate market trends, such as direction, maturity and participants. Their analyses are conducted for several specific technology industries and are updated every 1–2 years.
Fortinet FortiGate firewalls are part of an overall security-driven networking strategy that helps networking and security leaders to better manage security risks, reduce overall cost and complexity, and improve operational efficiency.
Jeremy Yeatman, Datanet’s Account Manager added: This page here is quite a good overview of the whole “Threat Landscape” with some mentions of state backed cyber attack groups.
Mike Reed, Datanet’s Technical Support Engineer commented: In general, a Fortigate solution will protect you from some of this sort of thing because of the Fortiguard features – Fortinet have a team of elves who go around the internet categorising links. Sometimes they say “don’t know” and then you can provide a rating which one of the elves will double-check and then it helps all of Fortinet’s other customers when their Fortigate downloads updates in an hour’s time. (Fortiguard categories here: In practice, state-backed hackers are a cut above the ones who send you the daft looking text messages asking you to visit the Hermes web site and pay to get your parcel re-delivered… and plenty of people still click on those 🙂
To get your business protected by Fortinet’s Security Fabic built together with Fortigate’s next generation firewall protection just fill out the form below and we will be in touch
Connect and Protect your business applications and staff with the Fortinet FortiGate range of Next Generation Firewalls (NGFW) with Unified Threat Protection (UTP), these new high performance firewalls are suitable for data centre and branch office deployment
To read our previous posts about the FortiGate range, click on the following links:
Datanet can supply and configure your Fortigate NGFW to protect your business and get your staff connected by VPN, give us a call at Datanet now to get your business connected and protected, meanwhile here are a couple of relevant security articles from Fortinet:
Next Generation Firewall versus Traditional Firewall (credit: DigitalGuardian.com)
We have all been practicing social distancing this last year to protect against viruses and illness. Likewise, we should consider cyber distancing ourselves from our attackers. Keep your cyber distance by staying wary of suspicious requests, unknown attempts at contact, and unsolicited information and be the protector of your information, your networks, and your health with the Fortinet FortiGate range of NGFW from Datanet.
Datanet can help, we have chosen Fortinet to protect your infrastructure and, at the same time, provide VPN’s for your staff and branch offices together with the highest level of security and functionality.
- Protects against malware, exploits and malicious web sites using deep packet inspection of applications in or inbound to your network
- Protects against known and unknown attacks by using continuous threat intelligence powered by FortiGuard Labs
- Provides industry leading performance and protection for SSL encrypted traffic
- Best of breed SD-WAN capabilities along with advanced networking capabilities
- Integrates with your Active Directory to remove the hassle of managing credentials and can also support 2 factor authentication for additional security
- Packs a powerful punch for any cloud infrastructure or corporate WAN thanks to the RISC based CPU and Fortinet’s proprietary Security Processing Unit (SPU)
- Industry best threat protection performance and ultra-low latency using ASIC security processor
- Optionally available with a “Bypass WAN/LAN” mode such that during maintenance or if the unit went into fault mode, traffic would continue to flow (albeit unprotected), also available with Dual Power Supply, WiFi and SFP ports making this a truely reliable and resilient NGF
- With the rising popularity of 1Gb connections, for cloud hosting and ROBO mid size offices, don’t be held back by a firewall that just doesn’t cut it, get yourself a Fortinet FortiGate
Call Jeremy or Conleth on 01252 810010, or email firstname.lastname@example.org or simply fill out the form below and we will be in touch.
Fortinet are supporting us with 10 devices at a discounted rate so call us now for yours, subject to our Terms & Conditions.