Retailers look to hybrid cloud as they search for flexibility
This is an EnterpriseTimes.co.uk article first published on the 27th January’20, reused here with permission from Enterprise Times
Nutanix, an enterprise cloud provider, has announced the retail industry findings of its second Enterprise Cloud Index Report. The report measures retailers’ plans for adopting private, hybrid and public clouds. It found the vast majority of retailers (87.5%) identified hybrid cloud as the ideal IT operating model. It also showed many retailers (72%) are planning to move some public cloud applications back on-premises.
Retailers recognise that seamless customer experience is no longer a “nice-to-have.” It is a critical factor in winning new customers and retaining existing ones. In addition, flexible cloud infrastructure is critical to delivering it. A recent IDC report noted worldwide spending on customer experience technologies will reach $641 billion in 2022. IDC suggest this demonstrates it’s at the forefront of business leaders’ strategy. In line with broader IT industry trends, many retailers also recognise the full, long-term costs of the public cloud.
Additional findings of this year’s report include:
Retailers focus most on agility
Retailers ranked the ability to accelerate IT deployments (54.3%) as the top factor in deciding the best cloud environment for each application. In order to adapt quickly to customer trends in an age of multichannel selling across many platforms, retailers are leading the pack in maximising the flexibility of IT infrastructure to keep pace.
Security is top of mind
Data showed that security heavily shapes retail cloud deployment plans. Nearly two-thirds of respondents (63.6%) said security has significant influence on their future cloud deployments. Hybrid cloud specifically identified as the most secure (32%). Data privacy regulations continue to tighten and expand across the globe. As a result, retailers are at the forefront of looking for ways to efficiently manage customer data securely. Hybrid cloud operating models offer the security and flexibility retailers need to stay ahead of policy changes.
Retail leads in digital apps and IoT cloud deployments
Traditionally, retailers always innovating to keep pace with customers’ demands. The sector outpace averages in using the public cloud to run digital applications and Internet of Things (IoT) applications. They also run their business applications more often in the public cloud than other industries. According to the report, 11% current penetration of multiple public clouds and about 19% penetration of a single public cloud.
Greg Smith, Vice President, Product Marketing at Nutanix
“Staying relevant to today’s customers means having the necessary cloud infrastructure in place to embrace omnichannel retail experiences,” said Greg Smith, VP of Product Marketing, Nutanix.
“Retailers use data to connect the eCommerce and in-store shopping experiences. The only way they can do this accurately and efficiently is through flexible, scalable technology. The rise of selling on social media platforms also means integrating payment into the user experience. This brings security and protection of customers’ data to the forefront of retailers’ minds. Hybrid cloud provides the portability and control needed to bring retailers into the new era of customer experience.”
The 2019 respondent base spanned multiple industries, business sizes, and the following geographies: the Americas; Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA); and the Asia-Pacific (APJ) region.
Enterprise Times: What this means for business?
Increasingly, businesses are planning to aggressively shift investment to hybrid cloud architectures. However, many short-term cloud deployment plans have hit a significant speed bump during the past year. Nearly three-fourths of 2019 respondents reported that they’re moving some number of applications from the public cloud back on premises. Correspondingly, the use of traditional, non-cloud-enabled datacentres actually increased slightly instead of dropping by more than 20%, as expected.
Unlike in the broader IT industry, where cost is often the top consideration for business, this report highlights the different attitude of retailers. It shows that retailers prefer hybrid cloud architectures to deliver flexibility and security. Retail, is ultimately about customer engagement. To engage with customers means being able to respond to their requirements quickly and effectively. Hence the reason why retail is embracing hybrid cloud solutions.
Article ends, all credits to EnterpriseTimes.co.uk
Take a test drive of Nutanix infrastructure with no hardware, setup, or cost. Experience the simplicity and agility of public cloud combined with the performance, security, and control of private cloud via an easy-to-follow guided tour. You can spin around on your own, or, Datanet, your Nutanix Hosting partner, can arrange for a co-pilot to take you on the guided tour. Just fill out the form below and we will have you on your way
Why you can trust Datanet with your Nutanix Hosting:
- Datanet have been hosting business critical applications for over twenty years
- We own and operate our own data centre with a special focus on Nutanix Hosting
- Each Nutanix customer solution resides in its own physically separate rack space with its own locked door with room to scale
- Nutanix customers can have dedicated layer 2 connections to their rack space in our data centre, bringing your Nutanix on-net to your office LAN
- Nutanix customers benefit from generous bandwidth, generous power to your rack space and generous remote hands support, all together exploiting the performance of your Nutanix
- We have qualified Nutanix engineers on site to look after your environment
- Nutanix customers can use our Fleet offices as part of you disaster recovery and business continuity plan
- As well as our own Fleet data centre, we also have resilience covered with Nutanix Hosting in two London data centres (THN & HEX) and our partner site CIX.ie in the south of Ireland
- We are very accommodating and helpful, we want to make your stay at Datanet more like a hotel than a retirement home, you’re not locked in and we will even help you on your way when the time comes
- You’ve simplified the operation and management by choosing Nutanix, now simplify the accommodation
Get your Nutanix Hosting at Datanet
Get your Nutanix Hosting at Datanet in our UK secure, modern, accommodating and helpful M3 data centre
Why choose Datanet to host and look after your Nutanix
- Engineers on site to support your Nutanix Hosting
- Nutanix Hosting in private dedicated rack space in our M3 data centre
- We specialise in Nutanix HyperConverged Infrastructure
- Backups across our UK data centres from 5p a GB (as little as £50 per TB)
- Extend your office LAN out to the data centre with Gigabit connection from as little as £499 pm (subject to location and survey)
- Nutanix Hosting complemented by desk space, work space, BC/DR space and meeting rooms
- Include a FortiGate Enterprise class next generation firewall for maximum protection
- Read the full FortiGate 100F datasheet here and the Gartner Magic Quadrant report here
To find out more about how Datanet can help, call Jeremy or Conleth on 01252 810010, or email email@example.com or simply fill out the form below and we will be in touch.