IPv4 addresses running out…. get yours here….
IPv4 addresses such as 22.214.171.124 are the underlying routing address for friendly domain names such as datanet.co.uk much easier to remember than the string of octets. The IPv4 numbering systems is made up of four octets and has a numerical limitation of 4 billion addresses and as the Internet has become so popular over the last 25 years these numbers are running out. These IPv4 addresses are used to identfy not only web sites but also lots of other devices and things (IoT Internet of Things). By the way, just to settle your mind a little, when we do complete the move from IPv4 to IPv6 we will be increasing the pool by a factor of many thousands. For IPv4, the pool is 32-bits (2^32) in size and contains 4,294,967,296 IPv4 addresses. The IPv6 address space is 128-bits (2^128) in size containing 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 IPv6 addresses, I can’t even say that number but it is many trillions, I think it is 3.4 undecillion.
So why am I telling you all this?
Well there are 2 points here (1) at Datanet we have reserved an abundant suppy of IPv4’s for our Hosting and CoLo customers so no shortage here and we expect the almost limitless supply of IPv6 to be available before we ever might run out of IPv4 (2) we can sponsor you to get your own allocation of IPv4 from RIPE, ok interesting what does that mean? Well RIPE NCC is the regional body responsible for IP’s in Europe and they may have smaller number allocations say 128 IP’s (/25) that they can make available to your organisation and we can be your sponsor for you to get that allocation. Once you have your own allocation then you have rights to these IP’s for the longer term and you can even move between ISP’s, Carriers and Cloud Providers and take your IP’s with you, very flexible.
- Datanet has allocations of IP’s reserved for our Hosting and CoLo customers
- We can provide you with at least 16 IP’s (/28) with your primary rack here at Datanet
- We can sponsor you with RIPE to have your own range of IP’s, perhaps several hundred
- Having your own range of IP’s gives you independence from your hosting or colo provider
- Here is the Sample RIPE Independent Assignment Agreement, if you like what you see give us a call and we will prepare your personalised RIPE Agreement so you can have your own range of IP’s
- We can also sponsor your range of IPv6 addresses which are in plentiful supply
- Now call Jeremy or Conleth at Datanet on 01252 810010 to speak with us about your allocation of IP addresses
You may find the following IPv4 table helpful
Get your own PDF version here: IPv4 CIDR Address Chart