Datanet, one of the UK’s longest established ISP’s, is looking for an experienced VMware Senior Systems Administrator, preferably from a hosting or ISP environment, to offer 3rd line support for our network and data centre services. Datanet is a successful and profitable ISP and has set itself ambitious targets for growth over the next five years, being so well established with such a robust and extensive infrastructure means that the time is now right for some serious growth. There is an opportunity for the right candidate to take the lead in helping Datanet pursue and implement our technology strategy for growth. Are you the right person? Can you help us on this exciting growth journey? Is this the challenge you want? Are you up for it and can you deliver?
We are looking for an energetic, personable and enthusiastic Senior Systems Administrator to ensure the delivery and quality of our technical systems. You will combine excellent customer service and communication skills with a broad knowledge of ISP and hosting technologies together with sound commercial judgement. A background in an ISP or hosting provider environment is preferable and any formal qualification (e.g. VCP, RHCE etc) would be a real bonus.
The Senior Systems Administrator will work closely with the rest of the Datanet team to ensure our systems and technical infrastructure is robust and well maintained in order to deliver an outstanding service to our customers. You will take a strong lead in developing, implementing and maintaining our technical services, and provide guidance and support to further develop those around you. This could be a senior management role for the right person.
You should be experienced in some of the below areas, and have a keen and self-starting attitude to continue learning about new technologies.
- Strong experience with VMware vSphere and preferably a current VCP
- Excellent knowledge of Linux (pref Debian)
- Any storage experience (EMC VNX) would be advantageous
- Familiarity with traditional ISP services such as DNS (BIND), Radius (FreeRadius), Mail (Exim and CourierIMAP)
- Experience with Apache web servers, along with MySQL (utilising NDB), and NFS
- Good understanding of IP networks including configuration experience of routers and firewalls is advantageous (primarily Cisco and Juniper equipment)
Personal and Communication Skills:
- Exhibits good listening and comprehensive skills
- An open and clear communicator, both written and verbal
- Excellent technical knowledge and interest with strong analytical skills
- Enjoy problem solving within a live environment and under tight time pressures
- Willingness to update knowledge and skills
- Commercially aware individual with some management skills would be an advantage
Reasoning and Problem Solving:
- Solid understanding of how systems and technologies interrelate with each other
- Service oriented approach, providing prompt and efficient customer service
- Recognise issues reacting quickly and effectively to resolve them
You will ideally be located less than an hour from our Fleet (M3/J4a) head office and data centre. You will be primarily based at our head office, but will be required to occasionally visit customer sites or our Docklands points of presence and the role may involve some shift work.
Are you the right person?
Datanet has a goal to be the Private Cloud provider of choice for UK business over the next five years, can you help us on this exciting journey? Do you have the technical and commercial skills, tenacity and drive to really make the difference? This is a senior position at Datanet and a great opportunity for the right candidate to develop both technically as well as their leadership and management skills.
In the first instance please email your CV to My.Future@datanet.co.uk explaining why you are the exceptional candidate for this role.